The word “Yoga“, literally means “union” or “to merge“, its just more than a set of physical postures or exercises. Yoga has to be a very powerful method that has been used by gurus, yogis, monks or even regular people for thousands of years. The benefits of yoga are countless, it helps someone shape their world.
Yoga can be an effective way to help you build better mental health, develop better spirituality and even help you stay fit and lose weight.
How to lose weight by practicing yoga?
Some of the intense styles of yoga are Hatha, Kundalini, Ashtanga, and Hot and Bikram Yoga are some Intense and Sweaty yoga types you can practice to shed pounds that will benefit for lose weight fast.
Yoga helps you lose weight, some of the most valuable types can be identified as active, intense styles of yoga which help you burn the most calories. This will prevent weight gain and reduce belly fat.
Losing weight requires you to burn more calories than the consumption of calories. Through the practice of yoga regularly it will benefit you to burn calories build muscle.
8 Health benefits of yoga
The practice of yoga is often linked with better quality sleep.
If you regularly practice yoga you may find that you’re able to fall asleep more easily and sleep more deeply when you have a consistent yoga practice. Ideally, This is due to better build mindfulness which allows better relaxation and helps you sleep better. This is also said that better sleep supports weight loss.
when practicing yoga you tend to build mindfulness, as yoga and mindfulness go hand in hand.
When yoga is practiced you will shift your awareness to the sensations, thoughts, and emotions that accompany a given pose.
That will bring back your mind to the present moment. This is also the main aim of mindfulness meditation. This has plenty of benefits such as relieve stress, treat heart disease, lower blood pressure, reduce chronic pain, improve sleep, and etc…
3. Increase self-esteem:
Many people tend to suffer from lower self-esteem and self-worth. Creating issues in their life such as lower self-confidence, depression, and sufferings. Some many handle this negatively such as taking drugs, overreact, suicide, this is some serious issue that occurs due to lower self-esteem and self-worth. But the practice of yoga will open up yourself to new different areas of yourself you never knew ever existed, so you will start feeling gratitude and the way to life will start changing. And your self-esteem and self-worth will increase resulting in better self-care and self-confidence, allowing you to live a better happier more fulfilled life.
4.Improves Strength :
When you practice yoga regularly you start building strength not just in your physical body also in mind and spirit.
It helps a person build a better understanding of themself and it provides them with better self-confidence and self-love. This strength allows you to build a better stronger life, as the saying goes “Stronger mind stronger life “.
An important component of yoga is that it makes you focus on a particular feeling or sensation for a period of time building up your mindfulness or focus. Studies have found that regular yoga practice improves coordination, reaction time, memory, and even IQ scores. People who practice Transcendental Meditation demonstrate the ability to solve problems and acquire and recall information better probably because they’re less distracted by their thoughts, which can play over and over like an endless tape loop, which most people suffer from.
6.Lower blood sugar :
The practice of Yoga will allow you to lower blood sugar and cholesterol. Some people with diabetes have found that yoga has helped them lower blood sugar in several ways: by lowering cortisol and adrenaline levels, encouraging weight loss, and improving sensitivity to the effects of insulin. When your blood sugar levels reduce, you decrease the risk of diabetic complications such as heart attack, kidney failure, and blindness. These are some wonderful health benefits of yoga practice.
7.Improves flexibility :
Yoga involves a process that will slowly push yourself with this journey to become more flexible due to practicing different practices. This will build not just physical flexibility but also build flexibility in mind, body, and soul. This energy will open up new opportunities in life and you advance in life creating the best version of yourself.
8. Weight loss ;
Yoga for weight loss might not be the best of methods that you can follow to lose weight, but losing weight is also a possibility with yoga especially with high intense yoga types such as Hatha, Kundalini, Ashtanga, and Hot and Bikram.
Yoga poses to practice at home
- Sit on your heels on a yoga mat or on the floor.
- Either keep your knees together or apart
- Slowly, bend forward by lowering your forehead to touch the floor, exhaling as you do so.
- Keep your arms alongside your body
- Stand in the Tree pose
- While you inhale, shift your weight to the left foot and lift the right heel backward.
- Try to move your right leg as upward as you can.
- Put pressure on the left leg, thigh, hip to ensure your legs are properly balanced.
- Try to reach your right behind the right leg touching your right ankle.
- Extend your left arm straight in front.
- Maintain this posture for about 20–30 seconds while you breathe normally.
- Now back to the starting position.
- Repeat the same with the other leg. If you are comfortable you can try this for 3–4 times.
- You can have your feet together, or hip-width apart.
- Keep the tops of your feet pressing against the floor
- Place your hands underneath your shoulders, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Draw your shoulder blades back and down, and try to maintain this throughout the pose.
- Stand with 2 inches feet apart.
- Focus on a point in front. While exhaling, bend the right leg and place the foot on the inside of the left thigh. The heel should be touching the perineum.
- Inhale and extend the arms up and join the palms in Namaste.
- In this position continue deep breathing pulling in the tummy muscles and expanding the spine upwards with every exhalation.
- Stay here as long as you can focusing on one point.
- Slowly exhaling bring the arms down and then the right foot down to rest.
- Continue this with the other foot.
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended, spine straight, and arms resting at your sides.
- Bend your right knee and hug it to your chest.
- Then, bend your left knee.
- Draw your knees as close together as possible.
- Rest your hands on your knees with your palms facing up.
Yoga overrated for weight loss
Make a regular practice of yoga if you want to use yoga for weight loss. Make small changes daily and have modest achievable goals and achieve them.
Regular practice of yoga will make your awareness, mindfulness increase allowing you to make healthy food choices and be conscious about the food you consume. There is no guarantee that you’ll lose weight by yoga but it’s definitely can help you lose some pounds. Your positive results may extend far beyond weight loss.
Yoga might not be the best method to lose weight but it is definitely a better way to live life due to its countless amounts of benefits in mental, spiritual and physical aspects of life,